GCSE Physical Education
Studying Physical Education to GCSE Level – current Year 11 students:
This is a single option course and you could achieve a grade 9-1. It is a practical and theoretical course with lessons each week dedicated to both practical and theory.
GCSE Physical Education is designed for students who are able practically and enjoy taking part in a wide range of practical activities. Each practical lesson will involve students taking part practically to learn the advanced techniques and skills required for skilful and accomplished performances. You will also need to develop your knowledge and understanding of the rules, tactics and strategies of each of the activities.
Practical activities undertaken include; Handball, Netball, Climbing, Football, Amateur Boxing. Many other activities are available to students and students may also be assessed in activities they take part in out of college.
The theory aspect of the course is very challenging and involves classroom based lessons studying the effects of exercise on health, fitness, diet and the human body. This part of the course is assessed at the end of Year 11 via 2 written exams on everything that has been learnt over the whole course.
This course can lead to further academic studies at Level 2, A-level and Level 3 Physical Education and sport. Career paths include those in sports medicine and sports sciences together with sports coaching, leadership and management.
We welcome all students onto this course who have an excellent attitude and track record of participation in PE lessons. The standards required are high and therefore this course best suits those students with both good practical and academic ability.
● Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge and understanding to improve performance
● Understand how the physiological and psychological state affects performance in physical activity and sport
● Perform effectively in different physical activities by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
● Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance in physical activity and sport
● Understand the contribution that physical activity and sport make to health, fitness and well-being
● Understand the key socio-cultural influences that can affect people’s involvement in physical activity and sport.
Any parents or students who would like more information about the above courses should contact Mrs Mathews.